Help, I smell gas!

If you have a concern that you may have a gas leak or can smell gas at home. We recommend that you leave the house and phone the National Gas Emergencies number immediately on 0800 111 999.

If you can do so safely, turn off your gas supply. The gas mains tap should be beside your gas meter. Move the handle a quarter turn until it's at 90 degrees from the pipe to shut off the gas supply.

How would I know if I have a gas leak?

The most obvious sign would be the smell of gas. You could also be feeling ill as a result of a gas leak, symptoms may include:

  • feeling lightheaded
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • headaches

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and suspect that you have a leak, you should go outside immediately. 

 

DO's and DON'Ts:

Do:

  • Open doors and windows to allow fresh air in.
  • Turn off the gas at the mains tap, which is usually near the meter, move the handle a quarter turn until it's at 90 degrees from the pipe to shut off the gas supply.
  • Leave the property.
  • Phone the National Gas Emergencies number on 0800 111 999. Only use a mobile phone from outside the property.
  • Wait outside for a gas engineer to arrive.
  • If you are feeling unwell, contact your GP or 111 immediately. Tell them you may have been exposed to a gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.

Don’t:

  • Smoke, light a match or use any other naked flame.
  • Turn any electrical switches on or off.
  • Use doorbells, mobile phones or any other electrical switches which could cause a spark.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful

Comments

0 comments

Please sign in to leave a comment.